US Financial Aid Programs

Go to Canadian flag

In the US, Aquassure bathtubs have been paid for by private medical plans under durable medical equipment, by Veterans Affairs and through the Make a Wish Foundation. Please let us know if you have had success at claiming your equipment under any other State or Federal programs. Your local dealer may be able to advise you about what local programs are available.


Some private insurance will pay for durable medical equipment. Phone your insurance company and ask for coverage details.

Medicare has not yet paid for an Aquassure tub, but they have paid for the shower and lift products in certain situations. To find out more information on whether Medicare will help to cover the expense of a home modification ordered by a physician, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).

Medicaid waivers in some states, state child health insurance programs (CHIP), private health insurance, workers’ compensation and long-term care insurance benefits may cover accessibility products. The social service department of your hospital may be able to direct you to the special discretionary funds through private charities or endowments in your area.

Ask your attending physician to provide a prescription or document of medical necessity for an accessible bathing product and submit a copy with your insurance claim.

Veterans Administration

If you are a veteran with a permanent and total service-connected disability, you may be entitled to receive grants to help with housing modifications. Two examples of grants available through the VA are:

  • Up to $50,000 for building, buying, or remodeling an adapted home (38 U.S.C. § 2102); or
  • A one-time grant of up to $10,000 for special housing adaptations that the VA determines to be reasonably necessary (38 U.S.C. §§ 2101, 2102(b)).

To be eligible for a grant, you must be entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability and not have been dishonorably discharged. If you have already been determined to have a service-connected disability, apply for the grants through a VA regional office. Visit for more info

Aquassure’s bathtub has been approved for a VA grant in the past.

Reverse Mortgages

A reverse mortgage is a loan against your home that requires no repayment for as long as you live in the home and have a reverse mortgage. It is insured by the Federal Housing administration for homeowners aged 62 and older. Reverse mortgages are most often used to pay off an existing mortgage or to pay for medical and daily living expenses. Find out more at

Local Area Agency on Aging

Home modification and repair funds from Title III of the Older Americans Act are distributed by your local area agency on aging. Call the US Administration on Aging’s Eldercare Locator (1-800-677-1116) or visit the Eldercare Locator website at .  **

USDA Rural Development

Home Repair Loan and Grant Program (Section 504). For very low-income families who own homes in need of repair, the Home Repair Loan and Grant Program offers loans and grants for renovation. The Home Repair Program also provides funds to make a home accessible to someone with disabilities.

Homeowners 62 years and older are eligible for home improvement grants. Other low income families and individuals receive loans at a 1% interest rate directly from HCFP.  **

Community Development Block Grants (CDBG)

Grants may be available through your local department of community development.

Regional Center

For people with developmental disabilities, the regional center may be a payer of last resort for home modifications that are required by a consumers Individual Program Plan. Call your local regional center for details.

Department of Rehabilitation (DR)

DR may provide assistance in modifying or repairing your home if the repairs/modifications are necessary for the successful outcome of a client’s vocational rehabilitation. This service is limited to removing barriers and constructing partitions and will not likely cover bathing.  Call the Assistive Technology Unit of the DR for more information.

Church/Religious Organizations

Many churches and religious organizations make funds available for special needs projects.

Victim Compensation Program

In some states, victims of crime who are permanently disabled as a direct result of a crime may be reimbursed for modifications for his home or vehicle.

Catastrophic Events (such as hurricanes)

The federal and state governments offer funding for providing accessibility after a natural disaster or man-made catastrophic event such as Hurricane Katrina or 9/11. Details on designated disaster areas can be located at: **

IRS – Tax advantaged funding

Taxpayers needing to fund large and ongoing medical expenses will also be interested in exploring tax-advantaged ways to pay these expenses beyond deducting them under the 7.5% of adjusted-gross-income threshold.

Examples of potential alternatives include funding via Sec. 125 “cafeteria plans,” health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), IRA and/or Sec. 401(k) withdrawals and medical savings accounts (Archer MSAs). **

 **Excerpted from website



PA Housing Finance Agency –

Texas Austin, TX Dallas, TX North Central, TX Dallas, TX

More great resources

Assistive Technology Funding:


National Public Website on Assistive Technologies:

Home Modification Services

Home adaptations and modifications of special needs may be coordinated through government programs or home modification service organizations such as Rebuilding Together (local chapters across the US)

Rebuilding Together, a nonprofit organization hosts National Rebuilding Day in April of each year to provide free home repairs and modifications to low-income homeowners and promote affordable homeownership. This is a nationwide program that completes nearly 10,000 projects a year.

Other organizations that may be available locally to help with rebuilding

  • Area Agency on Aging (1-800-677-1116)
  • County/City Department of Economic & Community Development
  • Department of Public Welfare
  • Habitat for Humanity (1-800-HABITAT, Ext. 551 or Ext. 552)
  • Hearts and Hammers
  • Housing Authority
  • Independent Living Center
  • Retired Senior Volunteer Program (1-800-424-8867)
  • Telephone Pioneers (1-800-872-5995)
  • Homes for our Troops